this La Jolla Lights Showcasing ongoing listings of online events and local live events.
Lectures and Learning
• Yiddishland California gift “What is Yiddish? Who still speaks Yiddish? Why should we care? Friday, February 24 at 7 p.m. online and at 1128 Wall St., La Jolla. Jana Mazurkiewicz Meisarosh, CEO of Yiddishland, will discuss the origin and development of Yiddish and answer questions. Zoom $10; in person $40. bit.ly/YiddishFeb24
• Belmont Village Senior Living La Jolla Introducing Author connie bell Thursday, March 2 at 10 a.m., 3880 Nobel Blvd. Baher will discuss the issues that caregivers face, including guilt, sibling discord and the opening of old wounds. There will also be a Q&A session and a book signing of Baher’s “Family Caregivers: A Guide to Emotional Survival.” free. Space is limited.Reply to (858) 450-2500 or email@example.com.
• this pen and paper writing class Held every Thursday at 1 p.m. at La Jolla/Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave. Weekly lessons are for writers of all experience levels, ages 18 and up. free. (858) 552-1657
family and children
• La Jolla/Riford Library Display “Bilingual Story Time” Wednesday, March 1 at 10:30 a.m., 7555 Draper Ave. Programs for preschoolers will include stories and songs in English and Spanish. free.lajollalibrary.org
• Yiddishland California gift “Yiddishlan Arts Club” Mondays and Thursdays at 3:30pm until March 6th and “Yiddish Art Class for Kids” Wednesday through March 8 at 12:45 p.m., both at 1128 Wall St., La Jolla. Classes for ages 5-10 will engage participants in Yiddish culture and heritage through the arts. $30 per lesson. yiddishlandcalifornia.org/yiddish-art-class-for-children
health and fitness
• La Jolla Newcomers Club launched a neighborhood walk Saturday, February 25 at 9:30 a.m. outside the La Jolla Recreation Center on the corner of Draper Avenue and Prospect Street. Club members or those new to La Jolla in the past two years are encouraged to join. free. Call Peg at (858) 888-3666 or Kathleen at (858) 210-8678.
• Yiddishland California gift “Yiddish Gratitude Yoga” Sunday, February 26 at 8 a.m., online. Tanya Yakovleva’s lessons will include English translation. 15 dollars. bit.ly/YogaYiddish
• Jaruska Solyova gift “Breathe, Feel, Stretch, Relax and Heal” Held every Wednesday through March at 4:40 pm at the La Jolla Bay Bridge Club, 1160 N Shore Blvd. Weekly lessons are available for all levels. $15 per lesson.e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The La Jolla Woman’s Club gift “Gentle Yoga” Thursdays at 11:30 a.m. at 7791 Draper Ave. Weekly lessons are for all levels and are open to the public. 15 dollars.
Arts and Culture
• Introduction of Qualcomm Research Institute Mortal Figures: A Caged Bird Standing on the Grave of Dreams Friday and Saturday, February 24-25 at 4:45 p.m. at UC San Diego, Atkinson Hall, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla. The student performance featured seven pieces addressing various perspectives on the connection between humans and machines. free.e-mail email@example.com.
• The La Jolla Community Center offers a Acrylic pouring workshop Friday, February 24 at 2pm and Monday, February 27 at 6pm at 6811 La Jolla Blvd. Each workshop costs $20 for Community Center members and $30 for non-members. ljcommunitycenter.org
• La Jolla Community Center unveils its 10th anniversary Fourth Friday Jazz Series Melissa Morgan and Sam Hirsh perform at 6811 La Jolla Blvd on February 24th at 7pm. $25 for community center members; $30 for non-members. ljcommunitycenter.org/ffjs
• The Center for African and African American Studies at UC San Diego presented a Black History Month Brunch Saturday, February 25 at 10 a.m. in Ballrooms A and B, West Ballroom, UCSD Price Center, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla. free.e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Organ at La Jolla Presbyterian Church Concert Series Christopher Hourihan Live on Sunday, February 26 at 7715 Draper Ave at 4pm. email@example.com or visit ljpres.org/concert series.
• La Jolla Music Society recommended pianist Pierre-Laurent Aimard Sunday, February 26 at 7:30 pm at 7600 Fay Ave. Aimard explores the genre of fantasy music, juxtaposing chamber music repertoire with newer ones. $44 and up. www.theconrad.org
• Gift from The Athenaeum Music & Arts Library Tequila and Tenor Reginald L. Mobley Monday, February 27 at 7:30 p.m. at 1008 Wall St., La Jolla. Chamber concerts will include works by Bach and others. $50 for Athenaeum members; $55 for non-members. ljathenaeum.org
• Warwick’s bookstore gift chef and author George Keery Wednesday, March 1 at 7:30 p.m. at 7812 Girard Ave., La Jolla. Geary will discuss and sign his new book, “L.A.’s Landmark Restaurants: Legendary Places to Celebrate Generations of Angelenos Dining.” Free, or $50 with purchase of a book and reserved seating. warwicks.com/event/geary-2023
• Gift from the San Diego Performing Arts Alliance Drama Month 2023 More than 30 performing establishments including La Jolla Playhouse from March 1-31. All tickets will be available at a discounted price of $15, $30 or $45. sandiegotheatremonth.com
• Opening reception by L&G Projects “Stone Torian Air. Hear her roar” Friday, March 3 at 4 p.m., 7940 Herschel Ave., La Jolla. An exhibition of work by contemporary artist Sepideh Ilsley runs until Sunday 30 April. free. www.landgprojects.com
• La Jolla Village Merchants Association gift First Friday La Jolla Art Walk Friday, March 3 at 4pm at various locations in The Village. Several galleries will be open late and partner with local businesses to provide food and entertainment. free. bit.ly/VMAFirst Friday
• Presented by BFree Studio “What are you looking at?” Saturday, March 4 at 11 a.m., 7857 Girard Ave., La Jolla. The event will be a salon-style discussion of contemporary art. 10 USD. bfreestudio.net
• Opening reception at RB Stevenson Gallery “Recent work by the studio” Saturday, March 4 at 5 p.m., 7661 Girard Ave., La Jolla. An exhibition of paintings by San Diego-based artist Ricardo Xavier runs through Saturday, March 25th. rbstevensongallery.com
• Hosted by the Early Music Society of San Diego Flute player Emi Ferguson and the Ruckus Band On Saturday, March 4 at 7:30 pm, at St. James’s Waterfront Episcopal Church, 743 Prospect St., La Jolla, a performance of reinterpreted works of Bach for a modern audience. $10-50. sdems.org.
• Marcus Syndicate gift “Town Night” Saturday, March 4 at 9 p.m., Beaumont’s, 5662 La Jolla Blvd., La Jolla. A club band of seven musicians plays R&B, pop and funk. 5 USD. bit.ly/MarcusSyndicateMarch
• Music salon performance “On the Volga” Sunday, March 5 at 4 p.m. at the La Jolla Women’s Club, 7791 Draper Ave. The string and piano program will feature works by Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff and Hoon. $95.lesalondemusiques.com
• DG Wills Books profiles local playwrights Gideon Rappaport Saturday, March 11 at 7 p.m., 7461 Girard Ave., La Jolla. Rappaport will discuss his new book Appreciating Shakespeare. free.Call (858) 456-1800 or visit dgwillsbooks.com.
• La Jolla Library Art Gallery Showcase Exhibits “California Colors” Through Monday, March 13 at the La Jolla/Rifford Library at 7555 Draper Ave. The exhibition features contemporary and impressionistic paintings by Kathy Kelly, Kate Joyner and Jason Nelson. free.
• Yiddishland California gift “Songs of the Jewish Ukrainian Heartland” Online and a private location in La Jolla on Sunday March 19th at 5pm. Michael Alpert, Sasha Lurje and Craig Judelman will be in attendance. In-person registration $20 through March 10; $30 through March 15; $40 through March 19. Zoom registration is $10 before March 10; $18 through March 19. The address will be provided upon registration. bit.ly/UkrainianHeartland
• La Jolla Playhouse gift “Outsider” Through Sunday, March 19 at the Mandelweis Theater, 2910 Village Blvd, La Jolla. This musical retells the story of the bond between brothers and the hope we all hold. $25 and up. lajollaplayhouse.org
• this La Jolla Arts Association The exhibit will be held Friday, March 31 at the La Jolla Community Center at 6811 La Jolla Blvd. The exhibit features paintings and photographs by Ann Chaitlin, Christopher Conroe, Tad Cronn, Mary Duarte, Victoria Gist-Towner, Julia Hiebaum, Ralph LaZar, Dana Levine, Caroline Morse, Mark Sherman, and Dottie Stanley. free. lajollaartassociation.org
• La Jolla Playhouse showcases its 2023 no wall festival Thursday-Sunday, April 27-30 at The Rady Shell in Jacobs Park, San Diego.Fares and schedule will be at lajollaplayhouse.org/wowfestival.
• La Jolla Historical Society Presentation “Rare Trees, Sacred Canyons: Torrey Pine—San Diego’s Conservation Symbol” Through Sunday, May 28 at 780 Prospect St. The exhibit features paintings, postcards, photographs, documents and more about Torrey Pines and the local preserve where they grow. free. lajollahistory.org
Evenings and Events
• The La Valencia Hotel offers a Martell Cognac Pairing Dinner Tuesday, February 28 at 6 p.m., 1132 Prospect St., La Jolla. Executive Chef Fabian Aceves prepared a three-course dinner, and Martell Global Ambassador Christophe Pienkowski guided guests through each cognac pairing. $225. bit.ly/LaV Cognac
• Frosted Faces Foundation Hosts Fifth Annual Fundraiser “Sit. Stay. Get up!” Wednesday, March 1 at 6:30 p.m. at The Comedy Store La Jolla, 916 Pearl St. The 21 and over event will include a comedy show and a silent auction. $40 per person with a minimum of two drinks. givebutter.com/TdOKfb
• Annually at the Mount Soledad National Veterans Memorial Women’s History Brunch Thursday, March 2 at 11 a.m., 6905 La Jolla Scenic Drive South, La Jolla. The event will recognize the contributions of women in the military.e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The La Jolla Historical Society has rescheduled its schedule “60th Anniversary Launch Reception” By 4pm Saturday, March 11 at 780 Prospect St. Events will include tours of the current exhibit, “Rare Trees, Sacred Canyon: Torrey Pines—San Diego’s Conservation Symbol,” as well as items from the archives and a presentation by Deputy Director Dana Hicks on the organization’s ongoing research . free. bit.ly/Historical60th
• La Jolla Playhouse showcases its Gala 2023 Saturday, March 18 at 6 p.m., 2910 La Jolla Village Drive. The event will include a presentation by two-time Tony Award winner Sutton Foster. $750 and up. lajollaplayhouse.org
Do you have an online or in-person event you’d like to attend here? Email your leads to email@example.com by noon Friday to be featured in next week’s edition. ◆