30 C
Dubai
Thursday, April 3, 2025
spot_img

Closing arguments heard at R Kelly trial

[ad_1]

Closing arguments heard at R Kelly trial

Prosecutors said in the final arguments of the R&B star’s child pornography and trial-fixing trial that R Kelly was a sex offender who used his reputation to abuse minors.

Addressing jurors on the 25th floor of the courtroom in Kelly’s hometown of Chicago, Elizabeth Pozzolo cited one of Kelly’s accusers who was the government’s star witness in the month-long trial.

Referring to the accuser under the pseudonym “Jane,” Ms. Pozzolo said Kelly “took advantage of Jane’s youth. He abused her many times. He acted degradingly on her because of his illness.”

Kelly and his two co-defendants helped recover the child pornography videos and hid evidence before Kelly was acquitted in 2008, she said.

They acted to hide the fact that “R Kelly…the R&B superstar…is actually a sexual predator,” she said.

R Kelly (Alamy/PA)

He testified over nearly two days that he believed Kelly when he denied abusing minors — then said he began to doubt Kelly’s credibility during the trial that began last month.

Kelly and McDavid are accused of fixing Kelly’s 2008 state child pornography trial by threatening witnesses and withholding video evidence — Kelly was acquitted.

The pair also face child pornography charges. Another co-defendant, Kelly’s partner, Milton Brown, was charged with receiving child pornography.

Prosecutors usually have the opportunity to call witnesses to rebut defense cases. But when they told Judge Harry Leinenweber they needed time to prepare, he said there would be no rebuttal and the case would go straight to closing arguments on Monday morning.

McDavid was the only one of the three defendants to testify on his own behalf.

Kelly, 55, was sentenced to 30 years in prison after a separate federal trial in New York in June.

Even after allegations of sexual misconduct began circulating in the 1990s, Kelly sold millions of albums. There has been widespread outrage following the #MeToo reckoning and the 2019 documentary Surviving R Kelly.

During Kelly’s month-long trial in 2008, state prosecutors played dozens of 30-minute sexually explicit videos on big screens throughout the courtroom. Prosecutors said it showed Kelly abusing Jane, who was 14 at the time.

The video is at the heart of that trial and the evidence for the current trial.

Jane, who was an adult at the time, did not testify at the 2008 trial, which jurors believed was the reason they could not convict Kelly.

She testified at the current trial that she was the one in that video. She also said Kelly sexually abused her hundreds of times since she was 14.

[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

ADES Strengthens Global Presence: Saudi Drilling Giant Expands into Brazil with $85.1M Landmark Deal

ADES Holding Co., the Saudi-based drilling giant, has made a bold move into the Brazilian market with an $85.1 million charter agreement, signaling a...

Marco Rubio Strengthens Ties: U.S. Secretary of State to Tackle Immigration and Security in Caribbean Tour

Marco Rubio is set to embark on a diplomatic tour of the Caribbean, with scheduled visits to Jamaica, Guyana, and Suriname on March 26-27. The...

Alibaba Revives Hiring as Chairman Joe Tsai Warns of AI Bubble Risks in U.S. Market..

Alibaba Group has announced its decision to resume hiring, signaling renewed confidence in its growth trajectory following recent discussions with Chinese leadership. The announcement by...

Saudi Arabia Leads the Charge for Global Water Cooperation and Sustainability

Saudi Arabia is taking a proactive stance in advocating for global cooperation on water issues, highlighting the urgent need for sustainable water management practices...

Saudi Arabia Empowers Global Mining Giants: Landmark Exploration Licenses Drive Vision 2030 Prosperity

Saudi Arabia has awarded mining exploration licenses to both local and international firms, marking a significant step in its Vision 2030 strategy to diversify...

Latest Articles