38 C
Dubai
Friday, April 4, 2025
spot_img

Fighting raises humanitarian concerns, calls for ceasefire in Tigray

[ad_1]

Ethiopia's Tigray Crisis
Ethiopia’s Tigray Crisis

Diplomats have called on Ethiopian federal authorities and their rivals in the northern Tigray region to agree to a ceasefire, as intense fighting has raised humanitarian concerns.

The head of the African Union (AU) Commission, Moussa Faki Mohamed, expressed “grave concern” over the fighting in a statement on Sunday and called for an “immediate, unconditional ceasefire and the restoration of humanitarian services”.

The AU-led peace talks were scheduled to take place in South Africa earlier this month, but were delayed due to logistical and technical issues.

The warring parties have said they are ready to take part in the process, although fighting in Tigray continues.

“The chairman urged the parties to recommit to dialogue and, in accordance with their agreement, to convene a high-level panel in South Africa, led by the AU High Representative for the Horn of Africa and supported by the international community, for direct talks in South Africa,” Mohammed said in a statement.

Maternal and child deaths in Tigray, Ethiopia
Yordanos Mebrahtiu is being treated for malnutrition at the Ayder Referral Hospital in Mekele, northern Ethiopia’s Tigray region (AP)

A UN spokesman said in a statement that Secretary-General António Guterres “expresses grave concern over the escalation of fighting” and called for an immediate cessation of hostilities.

Fighting between Tigray forces and federal troops resumed in August, ending a ceasefire that had allowed much-needed aid into the area since March. The fighting has drawn troops from Eritrea in support of the Ethiopian federal army.

USAID Administrator Samantha Bauer has called for the withdrawal of Eritrean troops from Tigray and urged all parties to abide by the ceasefire, warning in a tweet that as many as 1 million people in the region are “teetering on the brink of famine”.

“The conflict has displaced millions of people and the camps of displaced Ethiopians have been attacked,” Ms Power said, warning of more bloodshed if Eritrean and Ethiopian federal forces took control of the camps.

Calls for a ceasefire came amid intense clashes near the northwestern town of Shire in Tigray, and an attack on Friday killed an International Rescue Committee worker who was distributing aid, according to reports.

EU foreign policy chief Joseph Borrell said he was “appalled by reports of continued violence, including against civilians in the Shire”.

Tigray forces said in a statement that they welcomed the AU’s call for a ceasefire.

“We are ready to comply with the immediate cessation of hostilities,” the statement said. Ethiopia’s federal government has yet to respond.

Lack of fuel in Tigray and ongoing communication disruptions hindered the distribution of aid. The Associated Press reported Saturday that “10 people died of starvation” in seven camps for internally displaced persons northwest of Tigray, according to an internal document prepared by humanitarian agencies.

Since the conflict erupted in November 2020, millions of people in northern Ethiopia, including the neighbouring Amhara and Afar regions, have been forcibly uprooted and tens of thousands are believed to have lost their lives.

[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Gold Market Shifts: Prices Dip as Tariff Clarity Sparks Cautious Optimism and Economic Concerns

Gold prices experienced notable fluctuations as global investors responded to renewed clarity surrounding U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariff measures. The precious metal, often viewed as...

ADES Strengthens Global Presence: Saudi Drilling Giant Expands into Brazil with $85.1M Landmark Deal

ADES Holding Co., the Saudi-based drilling giant, has made a bold move into the Brazilian market with an $85.1 million charter agreement, signaling a...

Marco Rubio Strengthens Ties: U.S. Secretary of State to Tackle Immigration and Security in Caribbean Tour

Marco Rubio is set to embark on a diplomatic tour of the Caribbean, with scheduled visits to Jamaica, Guyana, and Suriname on March 26-27. The...

Alibaba Revives Hiring as Chairman Joe Tsai Warns of AI Bubble Risks in U.S. Market..

Alibaba Group has announced its decision to resume hiring, signaling renewed confidence in its growth trajectory following recent discussions with Chinese leadership. The announcement by...

Saudi Arabia Leads the Charge for Global Water Cooperation and Sustainability

Saudi Arabia is taking a proactive stance in advocating for global cooperation on water issues, highlighting the urgent need for sustainable water management practices...

Latest Articles