Thaddeus Tukes at the Green Mill Cocktail Lounge (Photo: Wikimedia Commons).
Featured Artists Highlight Chicago’s Diverse Style, Talent, and Iconic Festivals
The Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) announced that the “Chi on the Fly” summer entertainment series will begin Friday, June 2 at O’Hare International Airport and Midway International Airport, allowing travelers to experience the music and culture that Chicago has to offer amidst the bustling city . Summer travel season.
“CDA is proud to present a diverse lineup of entertainers during the busiest travel weekend of the year,” said CDA Commissioner Jamie L. Rhee. “We’re excited to showcase the diverse local talent and world-class festivals that make Chicago a global entertainment destination.”
Many of the performances at the airport this summer are planned to coincide with and highlight music festivals and other events in Chicago throughout the season, so travelers can experience the city’s cultural offerings even if they’re only passing through on a short flight.
Beginning next weekend, scheduled musical performances and entertainers include:
June 8 – chicago blues festival
- harmonica descendants 1-4 pm O’Hare Airport Terminal 1 Harmonica Hinds has been performing in Chicago’s blues community since the early 1970’s.
June 9 – Chicago Bluesfest
- Gerry Hunter O’Hare’s Terminal 1, 9 a.m. to noon. Gerry Hundt plays Chicago Blues and American Roots and has been nominated for a Blues Award for his mandolin compositions.
- Breeze Rodeo Trio At Midway, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Breezy Rodio has been on the Chicago blues tour since 2007, most recently on 2022’s album “Underground Blues.”
June 16th – June 15th weekend
- Thaddeus Tux duo From 1 to 4 p.m. in the Terminal 3 rotunda at O’Hare, composer and percussionist Thaddeus Tukes has been named World’s Best Musician by Expo 2020 Dubai Vibraphone Player” designation in recognition of the vibraphone’s legacy in the jazz tradition and beyond.
- Sam Chidler On Midway, 11am-2pm Sam Thousand (formerly Sam Trump) is a multi-instrumentalist, singer, author, producer and composer who has been performing for over 15 years.
June 23rd – Chicago House Music Festival
- DJ Sonny Chiba At O’Hare’s Terminal 3 Rotunda, 1pm to 4pm As a Chicago house DJ for more than 20 years, Chiba describes his music as “a radical evolution of transformation, turning energy into life.”
June 29th to July 4th and nascar chicago street racing weekend
- west albion At O’Hare’s Terminal 3 Rotunda, 1-4 p.m. Albion West is a Chicago-based progressive folk group that includes a singing cellist, a drummer who plays drums, and a pianist who sings and sometimes plays guitar .
June 30 – July 4th and NASCAR Chicago Street Racing Weekend
- Jonas Friedel At O’Hare Terminal 1, 1-4pm Jonas Friddle is a singer, songwriter and vintage banjo player, winner of the John Lennon Songwriting Award, Great American Song Contest 1st place and Album of the Year nominations in the Independent Music Awards.
- CoverGirls violin performance In the Rotunda, Terminal 3 at O’Hare Airport, 1-4 p.m., CoverGirls Violin Show is a colorful and energetic musical featuring pop and rock songs from Led Zeppelin to Lady Gaga , all performed on the band’s signature purple electric violin.
- Eric Norden At Midway, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Eric Noden, an award-winning acoustic blues and roots musician living in Chicago, combines his superb fingerstyle guitar with his Honey and Whiskey The alcoholic voice blends perfectly.
- Back to soul At Midway, 11am-2pm, Return2Soul transports listeners back to simpler times with renditions of old-school R&B, Motown, pop, and even some jazz and blues.
- smiley tilmont band O’Hare’s Terminal 3 Rotunda, 9am-noon. After 55 years on the local blues scene, Smiley Tillmon delivers the blues and soul standards that people never seem to stop craving, his rich vocals and smooth guitars met by a band that keeps his groove tight and right. support.
August 31 – chicago jazz festival
- Emily Coon Trio 1-4 pm O’Hare’s Terminal 3 Rotunda Emily Kuhn is a Chicago-based free jazz trumpeter, composer, arranger and music educator.
September 1 – Chicago Jazz Festival
- jody kelly O’Hare’s Terminal 1, 9 a.m. to noon. Geordie Kelly is a Chicago jazz guitarist and composer who has performed extensively in 56 countries across North America, Europe, Asia and Africa.
- morgan petel O’Hare’s Terminal 3 Rotunda, 1pm-4pm
- soul message belt At Midway, 11am to 2pm The group is a collaboration between Chicago jazz organist Chris Foreman and drummer Greg Rockingham.
September 15th – Hispanic Heritage Month
- David Chiriboga O’Hare’s Terminal 1, 9 a.m. to noon. Chicago-based David Chiriboga is a Chicago-based musician with two decades of experience presenting flamenco and Spanish guitar and dance ensemble artists throughout the Midwest.
- Jose Valdes Trio At Midway, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Jose Valdes has drawn on more than 40 years of experience in Latin dance, mariachi, modern dance, pop dance, Latin jazz, mainstream jazz, classical dance and more experience of.
September 22 – Hispanic Heritage Month and Chicago World Music Festival
- luna blues machine 1-4 pm in O’Hare’s Terminal 3 Rotunda The Luna Blues Machine is Chicago’s acoustic hip-hop, Latin, folk-soul band featuring sisters Belinda and Marisa Cervantes.
- KAIA String Quartet In XX Hall, Midway, TIMES. The string quartet plays an active role in Chicago’s music scene, and they are regulars at the Chicago Latin Music Festival and the Ukrainian Academy of Modern Art.
September 29 – Chicago World Music Festival
- radio liberty honduras In O’Hare’s Terminal 3 Rotunda, 1-4 p.m., Radio Liberty Honduras is a diverse collective of Chicago musicians united by one goal – supporting the art of Charlie Baran , Charlie Balan, a founding member of the legendary Honduran band Banda Blanca, now works as a maintenance worker at a Catholic elementary school.
About the author of the article