LONDON, 7 June (PTI) — Britain’s Prince Harry faced a tough grilling from barristers representing Mirror Group Newspapers in the High Court on Wednesday over the royal family’s claim that its publication obtained stories related to its private life through illegal means, including phone hacking .
On his second day of testimony, the 38-year-old Duke of Sussex was brought in to narrow down the articles for the legal case and asked at length why he believed they had been obtained illegally.
These included articles mentioning his relationship with ex-girlfriend Chelsy Davy and his military career in Afghanistan.
Harry told the court he was convinced “the phone hacking was on an industrial scale” and that “he would feel it was unfair if it wasn’t accepted”.
Andrew Green, a lawyer for the newspaper group, said the royal family was in “speculative territory” and questioned claims his ex-girlfriend’s phone had been hacked at the time.
Green took him through various articles published by the group in the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and Sunday People, questioning Harry’s claims and suggesting that some of the stories were in the public interest The problem.
Harry countered that stories about his injuries would only be of public interest if they were “life-threatening”.
On Tuesday, when Prince Harry became the first senior royal to give evidence in a High Court trial in more than 130 years, he made wide-ranging allegations of “extremely despicable” illegal information gathering.
He accused the tabloids of “fomenting hatred” against him as a young royal and portrayed him as a “thicko”, a “liar”, an “underage drinker” and an “irresponsible drug addict” – referring to him Some media labels have been considered relevant over the years.
“It was a vicious cycle where the tabloids were constantly trying to trick me, a ‘damaged’ young man, into doing stupid things that would make a good story and sell a lot of papers. Looking back, their Part of that behavior is utterly despicable,” he told the court, presided over by Judge Timothy Fancourt.
Harry, who has retired from royal duties and now lives in the United States with his wife Meghan Markle and his two children Archie and Lilibet, flew in at the weekend to testify at the trial.
The royal said he was determined to go to court to hold people accountable for what they did and that he was “determined to find out once and for all”.
His legal action forms part of a representative case against MGN, which denies the allegations. The prince alleges that some 140 articles published between 1996 and 2010 contained information gathered using illegal methods, 33 of which have been selected for consideration at trial, according to court reports.
(This is an unedited and auto-generated story from a Syndicated News feed, the content body may not have been modified or edited by LatestLY staff)