Mon 19 Jun 2023 08:05 UK
Three people were killed and 29 wounded in a raid by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank.
Gun battles took place on the streets of the city of Jenin on Monday.
Three Palestinians, including a 15-year-old boy, were killed in the incident, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health.
The Israeli military said it launched the raid to detain Palestinians suspected of carrying out the attack, and that there was an exchange of fire between the army and the gunmen.
Israeli commandos and a helicopter were used in the operation, and a statement from military officials confirmed that a helicopter opened fire during the battle.
The Israeli military has rarely used aircraft in operations in the occupied West Bank.
Officials also said one of the vehicles was hit by an explosion — but did not immediately comment on reports in Israeli media that five soldiers had been injured in the incident.
“As security forces were leaving the city, a military vehicle was hit by an explosive device and the vehicle was damaged,” the military said.
It added that the helicopter “opened fire on the gunmen to assist in the evacuation of troops.”
The West Bank, which has been under Israeli military occupation since 1967, has seen almost daily violence for a year amid rising tensions in the region.
Israeli attacks in the West Bank have been carried out almost nightly, while attacks by Palestinian militants against Israelis have spiked during this period.
About 120 Palestinians have been killed in the West Bank so far this year, while Palestinian attacks on Israelis have killed at least 20 over the same period.