purpose of work
Khalifa University College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS) The Assistant Dean for Faculty Affairs reports to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and supports the Associate Dean in providing executive leadership, policy development and implementation to the administrative and support functions of the Faculty of Medicine , and focus on academic affairs.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The role is expected to:
- Contribute to the development of CMHS strategy focused on achieving KU’s and CMHS’ strategic goals in the Faculty Affairs area, including the recruitment, retention, and professional development of diverse and high-quality faculty
- Contribute to the development of CMHS policies and procedures, adhere to the overall goals of Khalifa University, ensure compliance with applicable regulations and standards, and promote leading practice and educational excellence
- Contributes to the formulation and management of office budgets
- Manage and direct staff within the office
Lead development and maintenance of CMHS education programs
- Coordinates with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs to lead the CMHS Office of Faculty Affairs
- Support the CMHS certification process and its continuous quality improvement plan
- Collaborate with the Dean, Associate Deans, and faculty to plan, develop, implement, evaluate, and improve courses, programs, and services that support the College’s mission
- Ensuring that teacher programs and services comply with United Arab Emirates laws, regulations and policies
- Ensure that the activities of the office comply with the accreditation guidelines
- Participates in the faculty recruitment and onboarding process in coordination with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and other departments and offices within KU and CMHS to achieve the strategic goals of Khalifa University and CMHS; provides routine reporting to the Associate Dean and others as requested
- Develop and coordinate medical school faculty recruitment activities; support programs aimed at increasing the number of qualified faculty seeking CMHS appointments
- Serves as an ex-officio member of the CMHS Faculty Evaluation and Promotion Committee; advises the Associate Dean on the committee’s faculty appointments and member performance
- Oversee the training of CMHS Faculty Evaluation and Promotion Committee members; ensure the integrity of the process by establishing policies and processes that minimize the risk of conflicts of interest
- Participate in the onboarding process for new teachers
- Establish, implement and monitor CMHS teacher mentoring programs
- Collaborate with other CMHS offices and departments to ensure that teachers have access to relevant educational materials and are properly performing their teaching and assessment responsibilities in accordance with accreditation standards and CMHS policies
- Oversees the Office of Teaching; creates and facilitates the professional development of teachers in the teaching field; oversees programs that support modern pedagogy
- Supervise the e-learning lab, utilizing the latest technology to provide teachers with resources to improve their teaching methods and skills
- Promote and support research activities in collaboration with the Dean, Associate Dean and Khalifa University Research Support Office
- Support and mentor office staff involved in research
Administration and Personnel Management
- In consultation with the Dean and Associate Deans, actively collaborate with the Office of Human Resources to recruit and retain high-quality faculty and staff for the Office of Academic Affairs and CMHS
- Manage faculty by defining job expectations (direct reports); plan, monitor, and evaluate faculty performance; coach, consult, and actively participate in the induction, mentoring, and career development of departmental staff.
- Assist in scheduling and distributing staff workload in the Office of Academic Affairs.
- Provide information or prepare reports as required.
- Ensure compliance with the University’s information security policies and procedures and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensures coordination with other departments to facilitate completion of tasks and responsibilities as required.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Dean and his line manager.
- Provides coaching, mentoring and mentoring as needed to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensure achievement of stated goals and plans.
- Recommend appropriate training courses based on pre-identified training needs, evaluate their effectiveness and monitor their results.
- Evaluate the performance of subordinates according to the planned timetable and make necessary action suggestions according to the actual situation.
- Hold regular meetings with subordinates to ensure priorities are clear and work processes are running smoothly.
- Follow up on employee administrative matters such as vacations, vacations and other administrative and related matters.
Qualifications and Experience
- MD and/or PhD in a related field
- Qualifications for teachers with the title of assistant professor or above
- Has held a leadership role in faculty affairs or faculty development
- Served in a leadership role in a faculty office
- Achievement equivalent to assistant professor level or above in teaching, research, healthcare delivery and/or service.
- A strong record reflects excellence in education, clinical practice, research and/or management.
- Proven management experience, the expertise required to work with faculty and medical professionals, strong people skills, and a solid understanding of University structure and culture are all essential.
- Demonstrated evidence of ethical behaviour, professionalism, interpersonal, leadership and management skills sufficient to effectively instruct and develop staff and students.
- Five or more years of staff affairs, recruitment or development experience
- Familiarity or experience with educational institutions in the Middle East.
If you need further assistance or experience any problems with the online application, please contact the Recruitment Team (Recruitment Team@ku.ac.ae).
Main location: Khalifa University – Abu Dhabi, UAE
Work: Assistant Dean
job type: full time