Retirement Visa In November 2021, the UAE government introduced amendments to the law, granting expatriate residents the opportunity to stay in the country post-retirement. Here’s an in-depth guide on the retirement visa:
To qualify for the retirement visa, residents must meet the following criteria:
- Worked for a minimum of 15 years inside or outside the UAE or be 55 years old or older at retirement.
- Fulfill one of the following options:
- Minimum yearly income of Dh180,000 or Dh15,000 monthly income.
- Dh1 million in savings in a 3-year fixed deposit.
- Dh1 million in property.
- A combination of Options 1 and 2, totaling at least Dh1 million in a 3-year fixed deposit and Dh500,000 in property.
Application Process: Retirement Visa
- Choose Your Option:
- For savings-based applications, deal with the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA).
- For property-based applications, contact the Dubai Land Department (DLD).
- Online Application (GDRFA):
- Visit https://smart.gdrfad.gov.ae, select ‘Individuals’ login, and register for a new application.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and submit the online form.
- In-Person Application (DLD):
- Visit the DLD office in person to proceed with the application.
Required Documents (Common for All Options):
- Passport copy of the applicant and dependents (spouse and children).
- Marriage certificate copy (if sponsoring a spouse).
- Copy of the current visa of the applicant and dependents (for UAE residents).
- Copy of Emirates IDs of the applicant and dependents (for UAE residents).
Additional Documents (Dependent on Chosen Option):
For Proof of Income:
- Document indicating the beneficiary’s name and date of commencement.
- Letter from the relevant entity providing the source of income or a letter from the previous employer.
- 6-month bank statement from a Dubai-based bank showing a minimum deposit of Dh15,000 monthly or Dh180,000 yearly, stamped by the bank.
For Proof of Retirement:
- End-of-service letter from the last employer or a letter from a social service entity confirming retirement.
For Proof of Savings:
- Stamped bank letter in Arabic from a UAE-based bank indicating Dh1 million in savings in a 3-year fixed deposit, addressed to GDRFA.
For Property Option:
- Copy of the title deed showing property in Dubai valued at Dh1 million.
- 100% ownership of the company if the property is owned by a company.
For Savings and Property Combination:
- Additional documents for both options.
If the application is approved, each applicant must pay Dh3,714.75 covering visa-related expenses, including entry permit, visa status adjustment, residency stamping, Emirates ID, medical examination, and management fees.
This comprehensive guide ensures a smooth understanding of the retirement visa application process, empowering expatriates seeking to make the UAE their post-retirement home.