Five people have died in a Kenyan border village, sparking fears of growing terror attacks.
The weekend attacks brought the death toll over the past month to more than 30, including soldiers, police reservists and civilians.
Four victims had their throats slit and one victim was shot at point-blank range in Saturday’s attack in coastal Lamu County, according to local police.
About 30 attackers also torched village houses and stole food, officials said.
The village is adjacent to Vitu Forest, where al-Shabab militants have established hideouts and held their abductees.
Lamu County has also suffered two attacks in the past two weeks, both against the Kenya Defense Forces conducting security operations in the area, killing four people.
More than 10 people, including soldiers, police reservists and civilians, have been killed in attacks this month in Mandela, Wajir and Garissa counties in northern Kenya.
Al-Shabaab has targeted Kenya in the past, but until recently coordinated operations across the border and in neighboring Somalia have reduced attacks.
On Friday, Kenyan President William Ruto said the country’s troops may remain in Somalia until next month after withdrawing.
“We are very clear that we are going to send a very strong message to Al Shabaab that they will not reverse the gains we have achieved over the past few years,” he told France 24 in Paris.
Kenya is one of the countries in the region contributing troops to the African Union Transitional Mission in Somalia.
Home Minister Kim Diki Kisur assured residents of their safety, citing budget allocations for the upcoming new fiscal year to purchase advanced security equipment.
Defense Minister Aden Duale warned locals in Garissa district last week not to aid or cooperate with the militants.
More security personnel have been deployed to border areas to enhance security.