In Punjab, India, a mentally ill 40-year-old man named Kuldeep Singh underwent a three-hour surgery after swallowing nearly 100 items, including metal objects, which had been causing him health issues for two years.
Singh had experienced symptoms like high fever, nausea, and stomach pain, leading to his admission to Medicity Hospital in Moga, Punjab. Doctors conducted an X-ray scan and were astonished to find various household items in his stomach, such as lockets, earphones, nuts, bolts, magnets, safety pins, zippers, and shirt buttons.
Surgeon Anup Handa and gastroenterologist Dr. Vishavnoor Kalra performed the surgery. Although the items were successfully removed, Singh’s condition remained unstable due to the prolonged presence of these objects. Singh’s family, unaware of his unusual behavior, attributed it to his mental health condition, which led to his consumption of these items.
Doctors diagnosed him with pica, a condition involving compulsive ingestion of non-food objects, and suggested therapy and lifestyle changes for treatment.