By Porter Anderson, Editor-in-Chief | @Porter_Anderson
Nomination Deadline: Mid-September
Ayou may remember, Abu Dhabi Arabic Center In December, under the guidance of the leaders Dr AS Ali Ben Tamimannounced the establishment of its Golden Narrative (Sardar Al Sahab) awardsa set of classified honors for famous works in Arabic prose.
The project, which appointed a high-level committee to oversee the project in May, opened its first round of nominations on Thursday (June 22), with submissions to be accepted until mid-September.
The Gold Narrative Prize’s total prize pool across six categories reached AED 2 million (US$ 544,528), making the competition another well-funded entry in the United Arab Emirates’ book and publishing awards space.
The purpose of the Golden Narrative Award is to illuminate UAE folktales and tales; to highlight inspiring work in the field; and to recognize talented storytellers who, through this art form, have helped preserve the history, Lifestyle and popular legacy.
These six categories include:
- Award for short fiction, where unpublished work by writers is evaluated and published
- Short Story Anthology Award for a published Emirati or Arabic story based on heritage
- Popular Narrative Award, for a collection of popular folktales or research analyzing such stories that “build shared memory and contribute to the formation of cultural identity”
- Narrator and Biographer Award, honoring narrators in popular literature and biographies in the UAE and the wider Arab world
- The Illustrated Story Award selects a narrative whose structure relies on images, blending narrative and graphic art
- The UAE Storytelling Awards honor literature that explores Emirati identity and is inspired by the history, geography and symbols of the UAE
The name of the new award, “Golden Narrative”, comes from the A poetry by the UAE founder, The late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan.Part of the motivation behind this was an interest in building on top of the ZAyedof legacy creativity.
In prepared remarks, New Projects Chairman Abdulla Majed Al Ali said: “timehe Launch the Golden Narrative Aconstituency representativethe s A new milestone for Abu Dhabithe s [efforts] arrive honor creative thinker through different area, including storytelling, narratives and folktales, which yes Deeply rooted in Emirati and Arabic culture.
“Inspired by creative [work] of The late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, and his efforts to foster cultural awareness and artistic expression in the UAE community, the award works designed to showcase these collective memories and enhance our national identity“.
Those submitting nominations need to keep the following in mind.
- nitrogenhavethe s Only one category can be applied for, if only that job has no It was nominated for another award that same year.
- nitrogenNominated work must be written as In Arabic, except this emiratis narrative, which entry in Accept other languagesedit.
- Narrative and Research Works must be published Not more than five years ago, otherwise they may be canceledpublished.
- oneward not open to Workthe s Nahadimension previously won arabian or International prize.
- Works can be re-nominated later substantial various standards, compared to put time frame.
- applicant category must be selected the best suitable for their job, and use nomination form associated with this category This page of the program website.
- timehe fully The form should be accompanied by five copies suggested work plus recover and The nominee’s CV, along with a copy of her or his passport and a personal photograph.
On the same page that contains the information and links to the nominations page, you can read more about the basis for the use of the word “narrative” in literary criticism and analysis, and about the basis for program titles in passages from Sheikh Zayed’s writings More information on development.
More Publishing Perspectives on Abu Dhabi International Book Fair hereand more about The market in the United Arab Emirates is here.We provide more information on book fairs and trade shows for the world publishing industry here.More about translation is hereand more about Arabic in publishing here.For more information on the Arabic Center Abu Dhabi, please visit here.
Publishing Perspectives is the world’s media partner Sheikh Zayed Book Prize.Our Extended Coverage Adib and related Abu Dhabi International Conference on Arab Publishing and Creative Industries By Abu Dhabi International Book Fair.